Who are we?
The Forest Biology Lab employs forest health specialists who provide diagnostic services, identifying forest pests and pathogens, and other tree and forest stressors within the state. The Lab supports forest health assessments and management through research, public education, and extension activities, including maintaining insect and disease records and responding to requests. The Lab is managed by the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation and is located at the Vermont Agriculture and Environmental Laboratory on the Vermont Technical College campus in Randolph.
Who do we serve?
We serve the state of Vermont and are happy to assist with requests from private landowners, consulting foresters, private and public land managers, and educators for diagnostic services and providing information related to tree and forest health.
How to access lab services:
We welcome calls, emails, and sample submission.
- Via phone: 802-505-8259
- Via email: Savannah.Ferreira@vermont.gov
Sample submission: Requests for diagnostic services can be accessed by email, phone, or by submitting a sample.
- Commercial agricultural growers in Vermont should reach out to the University of Vermont Plant Diagnostic Clinic.
- For garden pest information and other home horticulture questions, ask a UVM Extension Master Gardener.
How do I submit a sample?
- Fillable diagnostic request form coming soon.
- Send numerous, good quality pictures to email@example.com OR samples can be sent overnight, or hand-delivered to:
Forest Biology Lab Attn: Savannah Ferreira
163 Admin Drive, Randolph Center, VT 05061
How can I access the insect collection?
This collection is available for viewing by appointment and is used in our education and outreach efforts. To make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other helpful links:
For descriptions of 55 tree pests that occur in Vermont, visit our Field Guide to Common Insect Pests of Urban Trees in the Northeast.
If you think you have found an invasive tree pest, please report it.