Skip to main content
Flood Resources


Allowed Individual Recreational Uses:When a License or Permit is Not Required

There are a number of recreational activities by individuals that do not require an SUP or License.  Please refer to Appendix A of the Uses of State Lands policy for a list and an explanation of those activities.

Applying for a License or Special Use Permit:

The process of getting permission to use state land begins with filling out the application for SUP or License for Use of State Lands. Each District Office of the Agency of Natural Resources has a License Coordinator that can assist you.

If an application includes multiple state lands across more than one District, the application should be sent to the District Office with the majority of use and the District will then coordinate with the other appropriate Districts. Be sure to follow all instructions and complete the entire application. Incomplete applications will be returned unprocessed. 

Applications should be received no later than 30 days before your use is proposed to begin to be given optimal consideration for your request. Applications received within the 30 days, will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, assessed additional fees, and it cannot be guaranteed that you will receive a permit or license.

To streamline the signature process we are now using DocuSign for our Special Use Permits and Licenses, if your permit application is approved the process will be as follows:

  • You will receive an e-mail from us via DocuSign.
  • The e-mail will contain a link to the document.
  • To sign and fill out the fields in the signature box click on the yellow icons on the agreement signature pages.
  • Follow the prompts: Adopt & Sign > Finish to complete the eSignature process.
  • You may need to agree to the terms of DocuSign, and may be offered a free trial which can be declined.
  • After the Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation signs, you will receive the executed version for your records.



If you have any questions about whether or not a permit is needed for an activity you are planning on ANR lands, you may contact the Forestry District or Parks Regional Office in your area of the state.

Cover letter (PDF)

Information Sheet for Applicants (PDF)

License and SUP Fees (PDF)

Forestry District and Parks Regional Office Contacts (PDF)