The Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation Wildland Fire Control Program works with Volunteer Fire Departments and the Vermont Fire Academy to offer wildland fire training to firefighters in Vermont.
- Wildland Fire Control Course: This course is taught by the Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation and offered through the Vermont Fire Academy and is part of the Fire Fighter I curriculum. This course is also taught at several high school vocational centers that offer an emergency services curriculum.
- Fire Department Trainings: Upon request the Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation will provide trainings for fire departments on wildland fire. Topics include wildland fire fighter safety, tactics, and watchout situations. Special trainings such as pump demonstrations and fire-line construction may be requested.
- Regional Fire Schools: Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation staff teach the Wildland Fire Control course at several regional fire schools each year.
Wildland Fire Training Resources:
- Wildland Fire Hand Tools - Video showing the use of wildland fire hand tools during live fire scenarios.
- Ground Fire Suppression - Video of ground fire suppression techniques.
- Dry Mopping a Ground Fire – Video training by the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation on how to extinguish deep burning groundfires without water. (5 minutes)
- Coming Soon! Pack Pumps and Fire Permits – History of Vermont Forest Fire Wardens – Video by the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation. (44 minutes)
- Handline Construction for Forest Fire Control – Video training by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environment on handline construction in eastern hardwood forests. (10 minutes)
- Oh, It’s Just a Grass Fire – Video by the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center on the hazards of fires in grass fuels. (25 minutes)
- National Wildfire Coordinating Group – Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR) Collection wildland fire trainings and videos.